8 Essentials For A Great Family Room
The family room is where everyone gathers to relax and spend quality time together. Here’s how to achieve a beautiful space that’s welcoming and comfortable - essentials for any family room!
1. Plenty of Seating Make sure there are enough comfortable seats for everyone in the family plus a few guests. If you don’t have a lot of space, try a sectional or keep some comfy floor pillows on hand so you can always welcome everyone in.
2. A Warm Glow There’s nothing like gathering around the glow of a fire on a cool evening, whether it’s a traditional wood burning fireplace or an electric or gas burning model.
3. Table Tops A large coffee table is a must for family games. Keep the accessories light and easy to move so you can quickly clear space for a family gathering.
4. Soft Underfoot A soft carpet or area rug is a must-have for a family room. When you’re ready to relax, your toes will want a soft place to land and a soft floor is more inviting for kids (and adults) who may want to sit on the floor.
5. Colour Choose a colour that makes the entire family feel at ease – like a trendy indigo blue. Think about how you want to feel in the space. Blues and greens are relaxing while yellows and oranges are fun and energizing.
6. Storage Make sure there’s a place in your room to stash all the family activities – games, DVDs, books and magazines – so they’re out of sight when you’re not using them but readily available when it’s time to relax. Built-in cabinets or tables with drawers are great options.
7. Out of Reach
Keep breakable accessories out of reach, especially if you have little ones. But that doesn’t mean they need to be out of sight! Choose high shelves to display your breakable accents.
8. Plan for the TV
Instead of avoiding it or pretending it won’t be a part of your space, plan a place for the television. A custom-built shelf or unit specifically designed to hold a TV will help keep it from being an eyesore.
- Carpet One Floor & Home